Wednesday 1 August 2007

Dear Diary

...woken up 6am by banging on the door. Turns out a middle aged Japanese guy had taken the overnight train & wanted a dorm room, so they decided to put him in with me...so he turned on the light & decided I was up for a chat! This despite me lying on the bed with my eyes closed.After going to the loo with the door open & aiming at the middle of the bowl, he finally figured out I wanted to sleep so went to bed himself - he'd already claimed fatigue due to the overnight trip from Xi'An on a hard seat.He then began to snore. Loudly. I already had earplugs in but genuinely thought someone was dragging furniture around upstairs until I removed the earplugs & discovered the shocking truth.

With 2 nights ahead of me with this guy & having had only 6 hours sleep, I made the immediate decision to find another hostel. I got up & showered, which amazingly prompted the snoring Japanese guy to assume I wanted another chat - so he woke up & wouldn't shut up. I told him I was going for a walk (at 7am with nothing open), which also surprised the hostel owner as it was raining heavily. It took me an hour to find myself a single room haven from snorers for all of AU$15. I had to tell a white lie to the hostel owners (I'm off to stay in the same hostel as my Danish friends), but they saw straight through me & offered to change rooms. Great idea & they were very nice, but what then would I say to the Japanese guy? I changed rooms because....(suggestions anyone?).

Anyway, problem solved for now; private room, private toilet, which you never know, could come in very handy before too long...

No comments: